Orthodontics for Adults
Many of our patients are adults! You will find yourself right at home as 20% of our patients are adults – ranging from 18 to 88 years old! Having a healthy smile that you are proud of is easy to achieve with Invisalign or clear braces. These options are esthetic, comfortable, and effective.
There are many rewards to orthodontic treatment at a later stage in life, including:
- Improvements to your personal appearance and self-esteem.
- Increasing the health of your teeth and gums are all important benefits of adult orthodontic treatment.
- Straight teeth decrease the chances of gum and bone loss, tooth decay, abnormal wear of the tooth enamel and surfaces, as well as headaches and jaw joint pain (TMJ/TMD).
Overall, many adults see braces as a worthwhile investment in exchange for decades of straight teeth.
Treatment Options for Adults
- Clear Braces: Our advanced low-profile brackets are less visible, efficient, and comfortable.
- Invisalign®: Invisalign is a removable, nearly invisible treatment option which simplifies hygiene and provides maximum comfort. Click here to find out more about Invisalign.
- Nightguards: Nightguards or “splints” can minimize the wear and trauma of grinding and clenching, and can be used to treat TMJ/TMD pain.
- Sleep Apnea Appliances: If you have been diagnosed with sleep apnea, we can work with your sleep physician to make an oral appliance which will treat your sleep apnea. For most people, these appliances are easier to wear and travel with than a CPAP machine. Learn more about our sleep apnea appliances.
Adult Patient Testimonial
Here is a little story of hope, encouragement and possibly some inspiration for anyone wishing to correct their smile at any age. I’m a 34 yr old woman who grew up with a single Mother of two. We didn’t have the money for dental insurance on my Mom’s income alone, so braces were out of the question. Not to mention, I had so much dental work that needed to be done by my late 20’s.
My whole life, the one thing that held me back in confidence was the thing I enjoyed doing the most – and that is to laugh and smile with the world. As an adult a few years ago, I committed to correcting that broken smile. With the help of RVA Dental and Gardner Orthodontics, I walked away last week learning how to smile in my mirror. I can’t say enough positive things about both of these organizations and their teams. I would mention them individually and how magnificent they are, but there just isn’t time for that.
They restored a mouth back to health, but really what they did is restored confidence in a young woman who can’t wait to show the world her new smile. The magic in it is that they did so while making me feel super comfortable, and were champions the entire time in my corner. I can’t thank you (RVA Dental and Gardner Orthodontics) enough. If anyone is looking for a dentist or orthodontist in the Richmond area – I highly recommend both. Take it from someone who was literally petrified on their first visit. Now, I look forward to seeing the staff at both places. – LISA