With braces, it is more important than ever to keep your teeth and gums their healthiest. Braces and other orthodontic appliances create more opportunities for food particles and bacteria to collect and thrive. Getting braces requires adopting a new oral hygiene routine and good habits that promote the healthiest environment for your teeth and gums. As braces are a new thing for you to deal with, you could benefit from some cleaning tips.
When you have braces, you must be diligent in cleaning your teeth to avoid bad breath, swollen gums, discolored teeth and decay. If you remove plaque regularly during treatment, you’ll experience better results and reduced treatment time. Read these tips to help you keep your teeth and braces their cleanest.
- Take it one tooth at a time. Spend at least 10 seconds of brushing on each of your teeth. Make sure to pay close attention to the front side (bracket side) of your teeth, the back of your teeth as well as the chewing surfaces.
- Remember your angles. It is important for gum health to brush the top teeth with your brush angled down and the bottom teeth with your brush angled up. This will keep loosen food particles from your teeth and gums and optimize your gum health.
- Always be prepared. To make sure you are taking the best care of your teeth with braces, it is imperative to take a toothbrush and toothpaste with you wherever you go. Having your toothbrush with you will allow you to remove sticky food particles after eating in a timely manner which helps avoid plaque build-up.
- Fluoride is your friend. Fluoride helps prevent cavities. Be sure to brush with fluoride toothpaste. Rinse with fluoride mouthwash at least once a day.
- Floss, floss and floss. Floss your teeth once a day. This is one of the most important cleaning exercises you can do to help prevent gum disease. Flossing will help prevent plaque from building in between your teeth thus reducing your risk of decay. Flossing also helps reduce bad breath.
- See your dentist twice a year. It is your job to clean your teeth every day. Visit your dentist regularly while in treatment, to get the deep, thorough cleaning that only a professional can provide.
How Gardner Orthodontics Can Help
At Gardner Orthodontics, we are pleased to provide individualized, caring service because we know that every person and every smile is unique. If you are interested in a beautiful healthy smile and would like to know if you are a candidate for orthodontic treatment, please request a complimentary consultation today.