If you or your child have recently received Invisalign Aligners you are on your way to achieving a beautiful smile. One essential component of Invisalign treatment is keeping your Aligners CLEAN! Cleaning your dental appliances will help reduce bacterial growth and keep your Invisalign Aligners invisible!
Best Cleaning Technique
Establishing good habits and a regular cleaning routine will help keep your Aligners in peak condition. Aligners are easiest to clean and sanitize when they are not being worn.
- Remove your Aligners per your Orthodontist’s instructions.
- Gently brush your Aligners with a soft toothbrush, this will remove any food particles from the inside and outside of your Aligners. Non-abrasive toothpaste can be used for a more thorough cleaning, but be sure not to brush too vigorously, doing so may scratch the surface of the Aligners making them more visible.
- After brushing all of the Aligner’s surfaces, rinse under a steady stream of cool water. Rinsing with hot water may warp or disfigure Aligners.
- After cleaning and rinsing, set the aligners aside to dry while you brush and floss your teeth. It is in your best interest to put clean Aligners on clean teeth. It is recommended that you use an antimicrobial mouthwash when you are using orthodontic appliances due to the increased bacterial activity in your mouth during treatment.
- Once you have finished brushing your teeth, your clean Aligners can be placed back on your teeth per your Orthodontist’s instructions. Invisalign Aligners can also be sanitized as needed by briefly soaking them in Retainer Brite solution. A sample of Retainer Brite will be provided to you when you receive your first sets of Aligners, it can also be purchased at either of our offices.
Some Cleaning Don’ts
There are some cleaning methods to avoid while caring for your Invisalign Aligners.
- Do not use abrasive cleaners that might scratch or mar the surface of the Aligner. Use a non-abrasive cleaner to ensure that your Invisalign Aligners stay invisible.
- Do not soak your Aligners in mouthwash, doing so may discolor your Aligners making them less invisible.
- Do not soak your Aligners in Denture Cleaning solution, it is too abrasive for Invisalign Aligners, use Retainer Brite instead.
- Only use a soft bristled toothbrush, firm bristles may scratch the surface of your Aligners making them more visible.
Gardner Orthodontics is a Super Elite Preferred Provider of Invisalign and we specialize in providing individualized and caring service because we know that every person and every smile is unique. If you are interested in learning more about Invisalign and are ready to transform your smile, call for a free consultation (804) 282-0505.