With braces, it is more important than ever to keep your teeth and gums their healthiest. Getting braces requires adopting a new oral hygiene routine and developing good habits. When you have braces you must be diligent in cleaning your teeth to avoid white scars, bad breath, swollen gums, discolored teeth, and decay. If you remove plaque regularly during treatment, you will experience better results and reduced treatment time. Follow these tips from our doctors:
1. Take it one tooth at a time. Spend at least 2 minutes brushing your teeth. Make sure to pay close attention to the front side (bracket side) of your teeth, the back of your teeth, and as well as the chewing surfaces.
2. Remember your angles. It is important for gum health to brush the top teeth with your brush angled up towards your gums and the bottom teeth with your brush angled down towards your gums. Then change the angle towards the bracket to brush under the braces.
3. Always be prepared. To make sure you are taking the best care of your teeth with braces, it is imperative to take a toothbrush and toothpaste with you wherever you go.
4. Fluoride is your friend. Fluoride has been proven to prevent cavities. Be sure to brush with fluoride toothpaste and rinse with fluoride mouthwash at least once a day.
5. Floss, floss, and floss. Floss your teeth once a day. This is one of the most important cleaning exercises you can do to help prevent gum disease, decay, and bad breath.
6. See your dentist at least every 6 months. While in orthodontic treatment it is even more important you see your dentists regularly so they can professionally clean your teeth and check for cavities.
Following these tips for keeping your teeth clean during orthodontic treatment will expedite the time it takes to achieve your lifelong smile. At Gardner Orthodontics, we have been creating beautiful smiles in Richmond since 1998. We provide individualized, caring service because we know that every person—and every smile—is unique. To find out if you are a candidate for orthodontic treatment please request a consultation today.