Orthodontic Evaluations for Kids
The American Association of Orthodontists recommends kids see an orthodontist for an evaluation by age seven. That’s because orthodontists are trained to spot subtle issues with jaw growth and emerging permanent teeth, which typically begin to appear once the first permanent molars are in around the age of seven. In the vast majority of cases, everything will look great and we’ll continue to monitor your child over the years and let you know when the time is right to start treatment. We very rarely treat children at age seven at our practice. However, if early orthodontic treatment is necessary, intercepting the problem early on can prevent the need for lengthy treatment, extractions or even surgery down the road.
8 Reasons Your Child May Need Early Interceptive Orthodontic Treatment Around the Age of 7:
- Oral habits (finger or thumb sucking, tongue thrusting or mouth breathing)
- Early or late loss of baby teeth or problems with teeth coming in (may only be visible on an x-ray)
- Protruding upper front teeth, which may be at an increased risk of trauma
- Severe crowding of the front or back teeth
- Difficulty chewing or biting
- Crossbite of the front teeth (may cause trauma to the edges of the front teeth or, in severe cases, indicate an unfavorable growth pattern)
- Crossbite of the back teeth (may cause the jaw to shift and/or grow off to one side)
- An appearance your child is embarrassed by
We Make Early Visits Super Fun!
Our orthodontic offices are bright and kid-friendly. Your child will feel relaxed and at ease. Our team members are approachable, welcoming and well versed in treating kiddos. Hey, Dr. Gardner is even a children’s author! To sweeten the deal for little ones, when they visit Gardner Orthodontics, they’ll get to join our awesome Kid’s Club and score all sorts of fun perks. To schedule your child’s complimentary orthodontic evaluation in Richmond, call us at (804) 282-0505 or text us at (804) 577-1171.